Week 19, Hungary and Austria: Buda&Pest, American Presidents, Opera and the Hapsburg empire

The experiences
I arrived in Budapest after a very long train ride with a Canadian (wearing a Batman tank top to whom I asked "Batman Saturday?" explaining that one of the Shauns I worked with in the US did Batman Fridays--Nevermind it was actually Sunday) and a couple Croatian women. One of them was so excited she was speaking English with us she was calling her mom and teacher to tell them. She was doing so well we were pretty surprised she didn't speak English more often.

Happy to leave Croatia and the memory of bed bugs behind I settled into a bunk with a curtain (like old school train berths). I slept long and hard and the next day it was after noon when I actually woke. I spent the afternoon planning what to do in Budapest and discovered that there was WAY too much to do and see. I planned some marathon days at a place called the Hummus Bar down the block. Great falafel and lemonade. Then I was feeling a bit homesick so I went to an art house type theater a few blocks away to see Serena. Wow, that's a messed up movie that certainly did the trick.
 
Don't forget the baclava
Very cool old theater
Knowing how much longer I had with my pack and how much it weighs I did another paring down. This also may have been a result of reading The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying-Up. I mailed another package home and set out to do the walks in Rick Steves' book. I visited Parliament and had lunch (salami and paprika cottage cheese sandwich and a delicious coconut iced coffee) before seeing the holocaust monument Shoes on the Danube.
 
They even put a little flower in it!
Shoes on the Danube
View of Parliament from across the river


After feeling the blazing sun I cut out to get a hop-on-hop-off bus ticket. These can be great if you want a city overview and to hit the major points. I loved the one I did in Capetown. I didn't love the one I did a couple years back in London and this one was about on par with that. Not much info, not very convenient stops but at least I was safely inside a bus when the rain and hail poured down. The ticket did come with a cruise on the Danube and a night panorama tour when all the buildings are lit so it was overall a good use of money. Budapest is second to Paris in good lighting so I was looking forward to the night drive.
 
Parliament at night
The next day I visited the Central Market where I saw just how much paprika a country can produce. They have many varieties and frequently use a sweeter paprika in Hungarian dishes. I really went to try Langos for lunch. It looks like a pizza but it doesn't really taste that way. It's more like Native American fry bread with sour cream, cheese and Hungarian Salami (spicy paprika added). They can load these up with everything and anything. I took a picture of dessert versions but one guy I was eating with (from outside Chicago) had literally everything on it. Mine felt like an episode of Man vs. Food so I gave up before finishing but he was still chugging along slow and steady when I left. Another guy at the table was a film professor at Penn State (he actually did a year of his Theater MFA in Madison) and brings students to eastern/central Europe every year. Something I learned on the bus tour is that a lot of movies are shot in Budapest. The cityscape can easily look like another European city, they have the skills and it's cheap. 
 
My Langos lunch
Dessert Langos


Belly full, I crossed the Danube to visit old Buda (most things are on the Pest side of the river). I really only wanted to see St. Matthias' Church since I'd heard great things about it. I was not disappointed. The beauty of this site and the Fisherman's Bastion just outside is self-evident.
 
Another attempted panorama




One of the seven towers of Fisherman's Bastion


I also wanted to visit the Faust Wine Cellar (in the former monastery, now basement of the Hilton) but it was closed. So I still haven't tried Hungarian wine which is apparently excellent. Back on the Pest side I found a local chain of buffet type restaurants to go to, the wine there was good but came from a box so I'm not sure if it was local... As usual the singles get a seat at the bar and I spent most of the night talking with Marco from Milan who comes to Budapest twice a year on business. He was a pretty funny guy and could tell I really didn't care for his city. He said that it could easily not be amazing if you aren't in the right area or surrounded by the right people. Very true.



My last day I packed in everything I missed. I started the morning at the Szechenyi Baths which was just crazy relaxing. I loved the one pool with herbs that smelled of mint and watching the older men sit around and play chess. I even caught a bunch of people start a whirlpool like my brother and cousins used to do. After I had enough sitting, I wandered around City Park, visited the Soviet Memorial, found the most beautiful McDonald's in Europe (not kidding--it's on TripAdvisor), visited the Dohany Synagogue (restoration funded in part by Tony Curtis who was born in Budapest) and the Tree of life, toured the Opera house and got coffee, walnut cake and palinka (special brandy) at the Book Cafe, a hidden gem in a Barnes and Noble type bookstore.
 
Outdoor pools at the Szechenyi Baths
McDonald's
Dohany Synagogue
Tree of Life--each leaf has the family name of someone who died in the Jewish Ghettos of Budapest
Their bodies were brought to the synagogue after liberation and buried here just outside.
Of all that, the Opera tour was my favorite. The guide was very funny and it was very educational about society in the days of its construction. To separate the upper class from the aristocracy the entire third floor is only accessible from side entrances so the aristocracy wouldn't have to get close to the bourgeoisie. There are mirrors everywhere so everyone could see what was going on since turning your head was apparently bad manners. When the Hapsburgs gave Budapest some of the funding for the opera it wasn't enough so they decided to only use Hungarian labor and materials (just a few exceptions like Italian marble) to make ends meet. 







Smoking corridor


One stipulation was it couldn't be bigger than the one in Vienna (seat of the Hapsburg throne). On seeing its completion though Franz Joseph only visited once because it was smaller but far more beautiful than Vienna's (having seen both, I completely agree). The emperor's box usually sat empty and today 4 government officials have the privilege of using it. One exception: Madonna when they filmed Evita. Speaking of movies, what's going on outside the opera house with all the cameras and such?  They're filming Dan Brown's Inferno. No celebrity sighting, but I think this is also what was being filmed when I was in Florence (getting some B roll footage of the real art and Dante's hometown--is that what it's about?). And Courtney tells me I just missed Ron Howard going to Budapest.  I should probably read this book, the Canadians in my room here in Vienna tell me it's good.
"Don't Cry for me Argentina"
No Tom Hanks :(
So it was a crazy few days in Budapest and I highly recommend the city to everyone, it's perfect in so many ways.

On to Vienna where music, art and history dominate. Vienna was the seat of the Hapsburg and Roman empire for centuries. I wandered the winter and summer homes of the Hapsburg family. I saw all their portraits five times over, where Mozart played his first concert, I played in the labyrinths with all the kids. I went to the opera house for a performance of Don Giovanni. I also had an incredible urge to watch Amadeus.
 
The summer home--Schloss Schoenbrunn
One of the labyrinths in the back yard.
The enormous grounds start--if you can see far enough you'll see an enormous fountain.


The winter home
Bear with Rifle
Roman section of the Art History museum, it just goes on forever
Opera House: When someone said "It looks like a subway terminal" the architect committed suicide. That seemed to happen a lot in those days.


Bar on the second level of the Vienna Opera House




These roses at the summer schloss were gorgeous


I even visited and rode the world's oldest functioning Ferris Wheel. I went to see a fabulous old film, The Third Man, which stars said ferris wheel and others like Orson Welles and Joseph Cotton. I never would have known this film if Veronica hadn't yelled at me to add it to the Lakeside lineup many years ago--Thank you Veronica. We didn’t end up showing it but it is fabulous and BFI voted it best British film of the 20th century. I will say it's also a lot more funny when there are German speakers in the audience. They show the movie about three times a week in Vienna. It's pretty great and I highly recommend you see it.
 
Oldest still functioning Ferris Wheel
VERY cool display cases of the wheel over time.


Among my exploits in Vienna...sweets are very sweet here. I had a lovely lunch at Cafe Demel, some amazing nudel chicken cheese casserole. Then of course a Melange and SachreTorte. I also stopped by Landtmann's for a Melange, Apfel Strudel and some very amazing vanilla eis.
 
The case at Demel's
My struedel before the ice cream and coffee arrived. It looks lonely right?


I might have tried all of the flavors of Magnum bars by now since that's the only option really and just now I've seen that they stamp an M on every bar. They were meant for me.


And now thank goodness I am caught up on things like planning what to see next in Krakow and Prague, suggestions still welcome. All the pictures are uploaded and soon to be labeled with captions and geotags (do we still use this term?). And now you all know what I've been up to. 

The lessons
  • In large cities with good public transportation don't go for the city sightseeing bus (unless you need an overview and can't get it via podcast or tripadvisor) just get a transit pass for your time. Budapest and Vienna's transit systems are amazing and if you know what you want to see you'll have no trouble getting there and much quicker than with the sightseeing buses.
  • After visiting all of the Hapsburg homes and art collections, I think I'm good on the old art and homes front for a while. I'll be admiring castles and art museums from afar for at least the next week.
Interesting

  • I love speaking German!!!!! Thank you Frau, where ever you are...
    • My first realization that I can actually speak is when the waitress asked "mit schlagsahne oder ohne?" The answer is always "mit"
      • translation: "with whipped cream or without" "with"
    • I still cannot remember the word for Check
  • I don't love the Sachre Torte.
  • I can't believe Starbucks is here when it really goes against everything Vienna stands for.

  • I had a Grapefruit Beer

  • I know two Hungarians (Janos and Ferenc) and their names are everywhere in Budapest!!!
  • Ferenc
  • Janos
  • American presidents seem to be everywhere too
  • Washington in City Park, Budapest
    Reagan at the Soviet Memorial in Budapest
      JFK just off St. Stephensplatz in Vienna



    Popular posts from this blog

    Week 9 & 10, India: Rishikesh and Food

    Kaena Point and the trek home

    Week 24, France: MOM! and second chances