Week 16, Italy: Pizza, Boats and Gelato

The experiences
I arrived in Italy much quicker than expected . It's the quickest travel I've had by far and from this point in the trip things only get easier (by this I mean traveling in straight lines and mostly shorter distances). From the airport I quickly got my Eurrail pass validated and talked with the Trenitalia woman about what train to take to Naples where I'd pick up a private rail toward St Agnello. The cheapest and most highly rated hostels are sometimes outside the big cities but also have access to quick transport to the city and sights. So I stayed in St. Agnello to get to Sorrento and all the sights of the area.

I explored Sorrento on Tuesday and caught the ferry to Capri. When I arrived I discovered that the island was pretty much a tourist haven with shops and restaurants everywhere so I opted to do the boat cruise around the island instead of buying more than I needed to (as it was by the time I made this decision I bought souvenir pill boxes --since I needed real pill boxes--a Capri bell that looks vaguely like a lemon, deodorant, smaller bottles for shampoo and conditioner, and a coin purse). Overall I had to downsize some things in the pack or I would be crippled quite quickly. Why did I go to Capri if it was just a tourist trap? Well, they have this thing called the "Blue Grotto" which for 13 Euro you can board a row boat  and float inside for 5 minutes. The whole day was worth it just for this photo opportunity and gorgeous cool waters of the grotto.
I am so very very happy

Wednesday I planned to visit the Amalfi coast (Bus to Amalfi, boat to Positano and bus to Sorrento) but the first bus I tried to catch at 10:30 was full and it was a nice day so I didn't see that improving with the next bus. I changed up the plans to visit Pompeii in the later afternoon and spend midday planning the next month of hostel stays. All in all a great day but I wish I had gotten up earlier to get to Amalfi and I also wish that Pompeii didn't have so much closed for restoration.
Pompeii

Closets of Ruins

Poppy fields at Pompeii

 Thursday I did make it to Amalfi via bus but it was a very rainy and cloudy day. Come to find out that even though the cities are beautiful, they aren't as much fun in the rain. Nevertheless I hiked up to the old paper mill and got a tour of the last several centuries of equipment and learned the history of paper making in Italy, including the family that has made cotton paper for the Vatican for the last 500 years. I even employed my skills (courtesy Ellie's grandpa Gurmmer) at making a sheet. They too make paper in a basement just like Ellie and I did as kids. I passed a couple tops that I loved and one of them I just couldn't stop thinking about and I picked it up--not because I loved it, which I did, but because it was made in Italy. Double bonus.

Also a very happy clam.

The paper press from many many many hundreds of moons ago.
I stopped for lunch on the coast and had the best Caprese salad of my life. I don't know what they do, maybe they just know how much to salt it, but I could have stopped there. After lunch I wandered around some more to walk off the pasta and pick my gelato. Italia, who I met in Auckland is from Sorrento and she's graciously given me the "scoop" on many things in the area including that I had to have gelato in Amalfi. I stumbled on a place that was happy to let me sample some flavors (rare) and I settled on "Dark Orange" a deliciously dark chocolate gelato with candied orange. I picked up a softball size lemon (relatively small compared to what you can buy here where lemons are everywhere) and bought a ferry ticket back to Sorrento. Because of the weather I didn't really want to do any more touristing around the coast. I was happy to ferry back and see all the sights from the water.
Amazing doesn't even cover it

Real Italian food is seafood

Dark Orange Gelato---a new favorite

We all agree--Italian cats are awesome, they come right up to you and are very friendly.
I picked up my bag at the snack bar at the train station in Sorrento and settled in for an hour ride to Naples. I only had a day to explore Naples so the next morning I did a walking tour in the morning where we stopped for wine and then Pizza Fritta which is apparently the first Pizza ever. We all loved the woman who made all 14  of our Pizza Fritta while she joked and gave our guide a hard time--even if no one understood it. And of course I spilled some of the ricotta on myself.
Pizza Fritta in action

I have never seen a square this big and this empty. UNESCO said they'd make it a heritage sight if they stopped using it as a car park. Now quirky Americans can do cartwheels here (when nice Polish girls are willing to snap a photo).

You're not supposed to go to the Spanish quarter...that's what THEY say. It's a nice place.

After our tour and intro to the history of Naples I visited the gorgeous marble works at the MuseoCappella Sansevero and grabbed a pizza to go at Sorbillo's which wasn't the famed Gino Sorbillo's but it was still darn good and on the same block so I figure it counts. They had lots of Michelin stickers on the window--I figured I could always go back another time for the "real thing."

I boarded my first high speed train in Naples to go to Florence. Regional trains are slow moving and free with my Eurrail pass but to keep things moving I tried booking the fast train (just a 10 Euro reservation fee). Turns out though that by the time I arrived they were running about 30 minutes behind. So I missed my regional connection and had to catch another train in an hour. In all the craziness I got confused and didn't see the train I wanted on the board so I went from the main Florence rail station to another where I discovered that I was just reading the Eurrail app wrong and the train would have come to the main station to begin with…oh well, the other train station had benches to sit on that weren't occupied. And so began my time in Tuscany.

I had decided to get a taxi when I arrived in Certaldo (small medieval village) but there weren't any there at 9pm so I walked about a half hour along the highway to get to the guest house I booked--yes I broke out my head lamp to make sure no cars hit me. I arrived just in time to sign up for the medieval city tours and wine tasting the next day. I cut open my lemon and flavored my water before heading in to sleep while a gaggle of people carried on around the big wooden table (most nights were like this in Tuscany--Melissa always slips away around 11 when I've had enough to drink and my body is tired).

Saturday was packed with stuff to do and I spent my free time taking naps :). We started by driving through Tuscan countryside to Voltarre (Rick Steve's favorite hill town, unbeknownst to me till I opened my OneNote). We were there during a comic and magic festival so there were many LARPers and costumed people wandering the medieval square. A small contingent of us stopped for breakfast (cappuccino and pastry) before the rain hit and we lost each other. I bought a alabaster box and was so excited since I'd forgotten also that this is where alabaster is plentiful.  Then we all managed to find the van again so we could move on to San Gimignano. Here we were also on a food mission…and we literally followed our noses (sense of smell) to a Pizzeria where we were all blown away by how delicious this slice was. Usually pizza here is a full pie but these were more what we're used to in the US, a giant pizza and you buy by the slice. Sadly I did not photograph everything I ate.
Our group touring the hill towns.
Then on to gelato and I remembered belatedly that Panforte is famous here so I found a deli where I grabbed a wedge and made everyone at the guest house try it. I didn't think I'd like it. I thought it would be a terrible fruit cake like experience but was pleasantly surprised and really could have eaten the whole thing on my own. On to the wine tasting…the best ever since it was a family place and Valentina really knew every aspect of the business. No question we asked was avoided or answered questionably. She was wonderful and most of us walked away with a couple bottles. I'm saving my Chianti for my last night here in Certaldo though we drank pretty much everything the night before. Overall I'd say this guesthouse has been a great environment. Lots of drinking into the night but no judgement when Melissa goes to bed at 11. I will say I'm glad I can sleep like a rock otherwise I might be frustrated with the noise. I returned to my need to organize and clean after a few glasses and then Sunday morning did a deep clean on the farmhouse wood table we all gathered around every night.
So glad I told the guy to give me the best Panforte.

Valentina--best wine tour and tasting ever. She shares my feelings on the topic "Wine is like modern art, the critics have their say, but in the end it's what you like"
The lessons
  • Don't try Vegemite no matter how much Australians love it, there's no reason for that to exist. I felt like Lucy in the Vitameatavegimen skit.
  • I passed a restaurant in Sorrento where the host was greeting everyone as they passed. It was a bit early in the day so not many people were around and looking for food yet. He stopped a gentleman going the other direction from me and asked, "American?" The guy smiled and asked "how did you know" and the host pointed to the American's shoes. New white leather New Balance Shoes. Yes America we are known for ugly foot-ware. Europeans don't usually wear plain tennis shoes, Keens, flip flops, etc. Bring some leather shoes if you want to blend in (or colorful Nikes).
  • If you decide to come to Europe in the summer (this is my first time here in the summer), do book ahead. You get better deals and the places with great locations are still available.
  • Monasteries and Convents seem like a great option in Italy however they are pretty expensive compared to a hostel.
Interesting

  • Is anyone left in America? Seriously? Everyone in Italy is from America right now. I hear Americans more than Italians. 
  • Public Display of Affection (PDA) is much more popular here. It's annoying as can be. Is it not possible to avoid kissing on the train? If you need to do it do you have to make it so loud and sloppy sounding? Really people I have no issue with hand holding, hugging, etc, but I draw the line at sloppy make-out sessions.
  • Food is all about quality. Pizza comes with no more than a few ingredients on it and it's so much more amazing for the quality of the sauce and mozzarella that you don't miss anything.
  • Don't forget that Europe does charge you to do everything. A trip to the toilette will cost you $.50 and in Naples a trip up the elevator will cost you $.05
  • Wonder how life continues to go on after 2pm when everyone closes down shops?  Responsibility is transferred. Instead of getting a train ticket at the station, you get it at the nearest snack bar or Tabbachi shop. Automated kiosks are also great for this. Plus overall, the attitude is more lax, so ask yourself…do you really need to do that now?

Popular posts from this blog

Week 9 & 10, India: Rishikesh and Food

Kaena Point and the trek home

Week 24, France: MOM! and second chances